SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2005

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:33:20 -0600
Luke Scharf said...

|The first goal of many of the RHEL clones is compatibility when RHEL --
|because we often run applications that cost thousands of dollars per
|year.  When you have an application like that, you buy hardware and
|software to match the application -- not the other way around.
|So, if you're feeling anti-corporate, I highly recommend Debian.  If
|you're running an expensive application that requires RHEL, buy RHEL.
|If you need something like RHEL with a the usual Linux cost ($0) and
|support (this listserv), SL and WBEL have been great for me so far.

This about sums it up for me.  We use a lot of our
own software, which can be ported to whatever
release we like, but we also use CAD tools that
cost thousands (sometimes many) of dollars per seat.
For those, we pretty much have to have a supported
OS.  Those vendors have almost all gone or are going
to RHEL.  So there go we.  But we have not only the
desktops, but a couple of hundred sim farm and enterprise
systems.  And RH wants way too much in licensing for
these systems (in the opinion of myself and the CFO,
and those are the main ones that count for this).

So, we are planning a migration to SL, with just a
few licenses for RHEL for reporting bugs to our CAD
vendors.  I also *want* to help pay RH for all the
work they do.  Just not the insane prices they are
asking.

-Miles
--
Miles O'Neal