SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 2011 09:53:40 -0600
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 6:13 AM, John Duffy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Thanks for the help everyone. 'yum install logwatch' worked.
>
> Regards
>
> John

By the way, John: beware if you set up "SMARTHOST" for your local
host's SMTP services, such as sendmail or postfix. Sendmail will still
continue to deliver local email, such as an unqualified "root", to the
local root account and the local /var/spool/mail/root. Postfix will
ignore .forward and /etc/mail/alias, and pass it along to the "root"
target at your local smarthost.

I consider neither to be correct, since I like to use a
"/root/.forward" to set up aliases on individual hosts. That way I can
void touching /etc/mailo/aliases and have a configuration manager
update that host-specific file. That can work well with Exim, but Exim
is no longer part of our upstream vendor's standard packages, so it
can take some work to set up.

The other advantage of Exim is that it *will not* deliver mail to
/var/spool/mail/root in a default setup. It will hold it in the mail
queue, so system mail that is not yet targeted to an actual person is
saved up and delivered when a root target is designated. This avoids
having to recover a week, month, or year of such email that's been
accumulating from broken cron jobs and stuck in /var/spool/mail/root
on a local host.