SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:05:17 -0600
I have a server that I recently migrated from CentOS 5.6 to SL6.1.  The host
install serves as a basic disk server and runs our nightly backups with
amanda.  We also have several virtual machines running on it, so of which are
mostly idle and others which can be quite busy.  Since making the move I'm
seeing the disk and network response/performance go to hell if I have any
non-idle VMs running.  One barometer - I have a raid10 rebuild running at the
moment.  With no VMs I can reach 200,000K/sec resync speed.  I'm getting
131,000K with two idle VMs and some other basic activity.  If I start a busy
vm, it drops to a few hundred K/sec and all disk access is very slow.
Response to keystrokes in a network shell can be very slow as well.

As anyone else experienced problems like this?  I'm not seeing any error
messages on the host or VMs.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  [log in to unmask]