SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Hannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:22:13 -0700
Miles O'Neal wrote:
> Michael Hannon said...
> |
> |If you have any suggestions, please pass them along to me.
>
> I don't know if it will work for this issue,
> but in the past whenever my mailbox got into
> a state where elm could not read it, reading
> it in with "mail" and writing it back out
> usually solved the problem.  Have you tried
> that?
.
.
.

Thanks, Miles.  That didn't exactly fix the problem, but using the mail
utility did lead to a solution.  As you suggest, the mail utility itself
was perfectly happy to read the unusual format.  Then after we read a
message using mail, mail, upon exit, saved the whole input file in:

     ~/mbox

for us.  We moved that mbox file into pine's ~/mail/ directory, after
which pine was also able to read the contents of the file, even though
"file mbox" gave the same results as for the original file.  pine seems
to be "squeamish" only about the INBOX format.

					- Mike
--
Michael Hannon            mailto:[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966