SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:19:10 -0500
Hi Jon,
I don't know if this matters or not, but these are the changes we make
to the SL4 thunderbird source rpm in order for it to compile and work on
SL3.

-#sw start
-sed -i 's/enable-pango/disable-pango/' .mozconfig
-#sw end

So, you see that we only disable pango when it's being compiled.  But
that doesn't look like the problem you are having.

Are you sure that the SL3 machine has it's timezone and glibc up to date?

Also, does he have the new seamonkey that just came out last week.  The
one before it broke evolution, gaim, and potentionally other things,
maybe by some freak chance, it broke lightning as well.

Troy

Jon Peatfield wrote:
> One of our users tried installing lightning 0.3.1 in thunderbird
> 1.5.0.10 on our SL3 systems and it apperently installs ok but then won't
> let thunderbird start up properly.  On SL4 systems (using the same
> profile) it works ok.
>
>  SL4 system has:  thunderbird-1.5.0.10-0.1.el4
>  SL3 system has:  thunderbird-1.5.0.10-0.1.SL3
>
> The lightning installed was the one from
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/downloads/file/8814/lightning-0.3.1-tb-linux.xpi
>

> Starting with thunderbird -g (to run under a debugger), gives me:

> [Switching to Thread 1073855744 (LWP 31316)]
> 0x003ccc74 in nsACString_internal::~nsACString_internal$base () from
> /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.10/libxpcom_core.so
>
> entering 'where', shows that it is crashing while trying to do something
> with timezones...
>
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x003ccc74 in nsACString_internal::~nsACString_internal$base () from
> /usr/lib/thunderbird-1.5.0.10/libxpcom_core.so
> #1  0x05586b1e in calICSService::GetTimezoneIds (this=0x9092400,
> aTzids=0xbfff8ac4) at
> ../../../dist/include/string/nsTDependentSubstring.h:62
>
> so it seems to be unhappy with the timezone info in a way which cases a
> segv, but this doesn't happen on SL4 systems.
>
> Does anyone else see this or is it something odd about our setup?
> sunbird/lightning has always had weirdness with timezones (I believe
> that it tries to do all the work itself which is just stupid on
> platforms with zoneinfo),
>
> Apparently a binary of thunderbird downloaded from mozilla doesn't show
> this effect -- the user tells me, but he didn't say which version that
> was so it might not be directly comparable.
>
> Of course TUV doesn't support thunderbird on EL3 so it might be
> something SL3 specifc that isn't as expected or just as easily it might
> be some problem in the way that *our* systems are set up (e.g.
> brokenness in timezones etc)...
>
> Sadly the user didn't tell me if this just started happening or not!
>
>   -- Jon

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group