SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Earl Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Earl Ramirez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:24:28 +0800
On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 20:14 -0700, Tom Rosmond wrote:
> I know this is a subject that has been beat to death in Linux forums for
> years, but I need to raise it again.  My employer has given me a
> dual-processor 16 core server to use for serious computation in my home.
> I intend to install SL 6.3 on it, and will eventually need to connect to
> it via my wireless home network.  Included with the system is a Linksys
> AE3000 USB wireless adapter.
>
> I know that USB wireless support under linux can be a hit or miss
> proposition, so I wonder if it is worth the trouble to try to get this
> device to work, or should I just get a PCI-e wireless adapter that I
> know is supported and save myself some grief.  I would appreciate any
> advice or suggestions from people with experience with this or similar
> wireless adapters.
>
> T. Rosmond

Hi Tom,

Please see below, which was posted by Akemi earlier.

"Please follow the note in this blog:

http://elrepoproject.blogspot.com/2012/03/one-size-fits-all-compat-wireless-fits.html

and determine if your device is supported by the kmod-compat-wireless
package from ELRepo. If it is, then set up the elrepo repository by:

yum install elrepo-release

and install the latest version from the elrepo-testing repo (updated
note at the bottom). For more info please see:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-compat-wireless

and

http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=301

Akemi"