SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:39:55 -0500
John--you should note that gcc3.4 (same c compiler as in Sci. Linux 4)
is also available in Sci. Linux 5, there is a compatible g77 as
part of that.  That should be able to compile anything that you compiled
before.

Steve

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, John Schaad wrote:

> FORTRAN -- For many years I have helped support, have used, and continue to
> use a package of software written mostly in FORTRAN for a DEC VAX Mainframe
> running the VMS operating system.  Later, I helped develop a Graphic User
> Interface written mostly in C and X-Windows, and it was ported to run on
> DEC VAXstations (VMS), DECstations (DEC-UNIX - ULTRIX), and the PC Platform
> under Linux.  The original port to the PC platform with Linux was with
> Slackware, and later Redhat 5.1 through 6.2, 7.2, and 9.0.  A batch-only
> version was ported to run on MS-Windows using Cygnus/Cygwin.  In recent
> years, however, we have found the most reliable Linux Platform to use is
> Scientific Linux -- presently the 4.X series.
>
> I have attached a PDF file with links to the IPF home page, source code,
> and manuals, along with some of the history, in case anyone is interested
> in exploring it further.
>
> In the interest of continuing development in parallel with the later
> versions of Scientific Linux, I have tried to compile and install the IPF
> software on SL-5.X and also SL-6.X.  I found that with the switch to
> "gfortran" as the supported FORTRAN compiler, the FORTRAN code would no
> longer compile.  It appears that there are major differences between
> gfortran and the FORTRAN versions used in SL-4.X and earlier versions, and
> it looks like we would have to re-write a lot of our FORTRAN Code, based on
> the compiler error messages that are displayed.    That was a frustrating
> discovery!  I am glad to see that Scientific Linux 4.X will continue to be
> supported for a while, at least for the near future.
>
> Does anyone have experience, and possibly some suggestions, for porting
> earlier FORTRAN code to be usable with the gfortran compiler?
>
> John Schaad -
> BPA Transmission Services
> http://transmission.bpa.gov/
>
> NOTE: As a "cost cutting measure", BPA officially switched to a commercial,
> 3rd party, "off-the-shelf" powerflow software package, that actually took
> many years following that decision to be improved and upgraded sufficiently
> to the point where it could come close to the capability of IPF for the
> percentage of "successfully solved" power flow base cases.   At present,
> continued support of IPF is on a volunteer basis by some of the original
> BPA developers and current users.  Many utilities around the world still
> use IPF, due to its quality of system solutions, minimal cost, and ease of
> use.  It is public domain software, with certain license restrictions, as
> described in the license on the IPF website.
>

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Todd And Margo Chester <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>>   I have an extremely intelligent retired college professor for
>> a customer.  He writes doctor level text books on structural
>> engineering.  He is a sweet old duffer with an I.Q. I would guess
>> at 200.

> [...]

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Group Leader.
Lead of FermiCloud project.