SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Adrian Sevcenco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adrian Sevcenco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:16:34 +0300
On 04/07/2011 12:02 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 06.04.2011 22:54, schrieb Adrian Sevcenco:
>> Hi! Have anyone some idea about this subject?
>> i mean is there still need for the mkinitrd patch described here:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Install_On_Partitionable_RAID1
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Install_On_Partitionable_RAID1?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=mkinitrd-md_d0.patch
>>
>> corresponding to http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3566
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Adrian
Hi!

> The SL-5 and SL-6 installer allows you to create a RAID, an LVM volume
> group on the RAID and then partitions (logical volumes) in the volume
yeah i know ..

> group. Logical volumes can be used for everything except /boot. I'd
> advice you to do this unless you have really good reasons for not doing so.
well.. my first principle in doing something is keeping everything as
simple it can ..  so the question is : why should i use lvm? i read so
much about it and so far (many years passed) i didn't found a reason to
use it...
so back to may subject : i found that is simpler to just make a raid1
over all the device than use the lvm configuration.
which brings out the my question again : what is the status in mkinitrd
of TUV OS 6?

> I can walk you through the installation steps but I don't think this
> will be necessary.
yeap .. done it already a couple of time to see how it goes ..

Thanks!
Adrian