SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:26:20 -0500
On 08/27/2011 01:01 PM, Wardy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm attempting to cobble and kickstart a JFS partition for a KVM guest
> running SL6.1 on a host that runs SL6.1, in the same way I would ext4 or
> XFS. I'm using part and logvol to create partitions and logical volumes
> under LVM and simply setting --fstype=jfs; this works fine for ext4 or
> XFS but during the cobbled install on the guest, anaconda hangs at
> "Creating jfs filesystem on /dev/mapper/vg_main-lv_main". Does KVM
> require the host OS to have the JFS tools installed (i.e. mkfs.jfs) in
> order to format the partition as JFS, or is this just not possible
> through cobbler/kickstart, and will require downloading and installing
> the JFS tools after full OS installation and reformatting at that stage?

There is nothing magic about a KVM guest.  It doesn't inherit anything
other than fake hardware from the host.  Knowing that, I think your
question could be reworded in the following way.

Can I make a format a jfs partition on SL 6.1 during the install or do I
have to wait until after the install?
The answer is, using normal SL 6.1, you will have to wait until after
the install.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group