SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 13:21:45 -0500
On 08/02/2011 12:38 PM, Bluejay Adametz wrote:
> Thank you for the suggestions...
>
>> I'm running kernel version 2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.x86_64 under SL6.0. Apparently, it's the latest version available if the sytem is current with all updates. It's been very stable so far.
>
> I have it running on a couple other machines now too, with no issues.
> It would seem to be something peculiar to this Dell GX280 (I know ...
> don't laugh :)).
>
>> As for you're situation, you can boot into your good configuration and check to see if your /boot/grub/menu.lst kernel options are the same for both kernels. It may be that something was incorrectly configured during the upgrade.
>
> Options are the same for all kernels.
>
>> You can also try booting the live-cd with various options if you want to do it that way instead. Try adding "noapic nolapic noacpi" (without quotes) and see if it boots.
>
> None of those options changed anything. I also played around with the
> rdbreak option to see if I could tell how far it's getting. With
> =cmdline, =pre-udev, and =pre-trigger I make it to a command line.
> Trying to get any further, with =initqueue, =pre-mount, =mount, or
> =pre-pivot, I end up with a reset.
>
> Just for the heck of it, I also tried 2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.i686, with
> the same (reset) result, as does the debug version of
> 2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.i686.
>
> I tried blacklisting my video driver and CDROM drivers (since that's
> the last thing I can see being detected), also to no avail.
>
>                                                          - Bluejay Adametz

 From what I've read I think there is still one option you haven't
tried.  That is to remake your boot image. (what is it's proper name, I
cannot remember)

To do this, boot into the kernel that works, and then do

/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --install 2.6.32-131.6.1.el6.i686

Maybe that is the problem you are having is a misconfigured boot image.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group