SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2008

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:45:47 +0300
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 03:06:51PM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
>> i am wondering the idea of common repositories is still in place...

> The answer is that there is talk of working more with CentOS on the
> next release.  We currently haven't hammered out many details, so
> there isn't really too much to say.

Ideally the upstream vendors' src.rpm at least could be identical, so
mirrors can hardlink them :)

Also if the build processes of both groups can merge (I guess the main
guideline here is to do mimic as close as possible what the upstream
vendor does when building in order to keep binary compatibility) we
could even have a common pool of binary rpms, which would be a
gigantic step forward!

> One thing I do want to point out, because the rumor keeps comming
> up.  There will be a Scientific Linux 6.  We will keep our identity.
> We will not completely merge with CentOS.

Now, whether one follows up the release schedule of the upstream
vendor by the day or delays for further QA, or whether one adds some
packages, or removes/replaces some, that's something that maybe in
SL's jargon is a more extended definition of a "site". E.g in that
sense maybe the merger will make an über project that SL and CentOS
cut their package pools from in their own timing and collection
policy matching their different target groups?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net