SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2013

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 17:43:59 +0100
On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, zxq9 wrote:

> On 01/28/2013 03:17 AM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  Anyone running LibreOffice on a Server?
>>  Appreciate ideas on how to implement some of the MS office features on a
>>  Web Server
>>
>>  TIA
>
> No idea what features you are looking to implement, but if the goal is to
> have your web server generate ODF files natively...
>
> I've found it a lot easier to generate ODFs directly from templates rather
> than go through LibreOffice. I've written tools to do this for me from within
> Django and Snap but haven't gone to the trouble to generalize (or clean up)
> the solution. ODF turns out to be wonderfully easy to generate, parse,
> manipulate, etc. and is now the only XML format that doesn't make me gag.
>
> This might not be at all the direction you are trying to head in, but if it
> is a "generate docs/spreadsheets/charts/etc from source data" type problem
> don't write off the idea of generating your own from an extension to your web
> framework.

If you're looking into generating ODF output from a structured language
(for documentation/publishing purposes) take a look at:

     http://github.com/dagwieers/asciidoc-odf

Unfortunately, Github broke native asciidoc support for the README, so
you better read that from:

     https://github.com/dagwieers/asciidoc-odf/blob/master/README.asciidoc

Kind regards,
--