SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2008

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:07:10 -0700
--- John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> William Shu wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have 3 issues related with using my wireless router, and
> > making sure changes take effect at boot time.
> >
> > ISSUE 1: Obtaining DHCP from router
> > My wireless router can be used if my machine (an hp
> pavillion
> > 5000 series laptop) is given a fixed IP address. For this to
> > happen, the ipW3945d service (driver) has to be activated so
> > that the wireless connection is associated with the eth1
> > interface. (From the HOWTO's this is done so that sofware
> that
> > can change certain wireless connectivity parameters into
> > unlawful values cannot be tampered with by a user, which is
> an
> > FCC legal requirement) eth0 is associated with the wired
> network
> > interface.
> >
> > My router may issue DHCP IP addresses, but I cannot use the
> > wireless connection because I would need the issued IP
> address
> > to configure the eth1 interface needed for the connection!
> > Unfortunately, the router cannot issue both fixed and DHCP
> IP
> > addresses at the same time! Furthermore, the accepted
> address
> > range set for the router need not be known by the user, who
> need
> > not have root/admin access.
> >
> > QUESTION: How can I configure my eth1 interface so that it
> can
> > get a DHCP IP address from the router?
>
> What brand/model of wireless router? I failed to get a dlink
> working,
> though I've had n problems with Apple's airports or a linksys.

The router is a TRENDnet TEW432BRP
(I closed the former thread "direct network cable connection
between two SL5 machines" to start this thread of limited scope
-- hope the correct course of action! -- but it seems the mail
got corrupted/never got through. I now hope to give one final
feedback to close both threads!)

> I don't use the builtin dhcp server, but I do use dhcp.

Any hints? The problem, as I understand it, is that
system-config-network does not "see" the eth1 interface until it
has an IP address and so I cannot even configure it to accept
dhcp, the same way eth0 can be configured.  This explains why I
had to use the individual commands "/sbin/iwconfig" and
"/sbin/ifconfig" on the command line.

> > ISSUE 2: Adding configuration start-up commands at boot time
> > The following are actually more of linux boot-related
> questions:
> > I used /sbin/chkconfig to start the ipw3945d service at boot
> > time. However, the initialisation commands
> > 	# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid "doit1wlan" channel 6 rate auto
> > txpower auto
> I would not specify the channel on a client.

Okay, I will remove the channel and try it out again.

> > 	# /sbin/iwconfig eth1 key open s:xxxxx
> what's that work "open?" "key" is supposed to be followed
> immediately
> by the key.

From iwconfig man page, it seems security has two modes: open vs
restricted; I did try all options, including "no option".
Restricted seems to be the same thing as what is termed "shared"
on the Trendnet. Moreover, I read somewhere (can't give
reference) that if the network is "open", then the WEP
encryption security will be guaranteed both in the wireless and
wired segment of the LAN.

I'm afraid I just dabble in all these, following the man pages
and any other documentation available, and the above parameters
are combinations that ended up working!.

> > 	# /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up 192.168.110
> > which are used to configure the device are lost.
> >
> > QUESTION: How should I save these commands so that they are
> > automatically executed at time? (.bashrc does not seem
> right!)
>
> If you use RH's configuration tools, it should all work. The
> information's stored in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and
> it's possible
> to edit the files with a little vim, but I prefer to see
> something to
> work on.

As explained above, system-config-network does *not* see the
eth1 interface.

I feel slightly un-nerved editing files in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. Are they not automatically
generated? Or should I just create a shell script and add to the
directory?

> > ISSUE 3: Controlling Services across sessions
> > Sometimes, when my laptop runs out of power and shuts down,
> the
> > subsequent reboot restart or resume some of the programs
> > (processes) that were running before. This does not happen
> when
> > I shutdown the system. I have deleted the processes from the
> > current session services, but they still re-appear on
> subsequent
> > boots. (such processes seem to be hvve unusual names, id's
> or
> > directory paths appended/prepended to them). I think at one
> time
> > in the distant past, pm-hibernate or pm-suspend had been
> called.
> >

> If the system hibernates, then it should resume to the same
> state it was
> in before. By definition.
>
> > QUESTION 1: How can I turn this on or off -- at my
> discretion?
>
> I have in the past had success setting my choices in KDE>

I am on gnome. What commands are actually given?

Be a better friend, newshound, and