SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2015

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:21:57 -0800
You have answered my question.  There are, roughly, using old
terminology, heavy-weight containers and light-weight containers.
VMware used to offer heavy-weight containers that would run "any" MS Win
application under Linux (presuming the same underlying ISA), but were n
some instances extreme resource hogs.  Docker thus seems to be a
light-weight container with strong limitations as to the differences in
the underlying environment and OS structures (again, same ISA --
different ISAs require rather different approaches, including the old
Sun approach on SPARC workstations of having a Sbus IA-32 "coprocessor"
board to run a licensed copy of MS Win).

Yasha Karant