SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:53:35 -0500
Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> If you do a "yum upgrade" rather than a "yum update" to update 4.3 to
> 4.4, yum-conf gets upgraded to yum-conf-4x rather than yum-conf-44. I
> assume this is due to some obsoletes information? Is this what is intended?
>
> If you want to do a proper upgrade, then yum upgrade is the normal
> command as you pick up any obsoleted files... Perhaps yum-conf-4x
> shouldn't obselete yum-conf-44, but should conflict with it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeremy

Is it what was intended?
Well, yes.
That was what was going through my head, but it sounds like for the
average user, they are intending something different.

The goal is that if someone does a
   yum install yum-conf-4x
It will install yum-conf-4x, and remove yum-conf

I'm pretty sure I tried "Conflicts" and yum wouldn't install it because
it conflicted.
I'm not positive, because I haven't tested it, but maybe if I do a
"Provides: yum-conf" that might do it.

It will take some testing.  I'll put it on the slate for 4.5.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468