SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 18:24:32 -0500
On 10/12/2011 5:21 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> As I mentioned in a previous posting, a colleague of mine -- an
> academic journal editor -- running EL 5 on her laptop needs to control
> a remote Mac OS X machine via LogMeIn.  I have since verified that the
> LogMeIn application works.   However, it turns out that she will need
> a much larger monitor capable of at least 1960 x 1240 resolution
> (values from her) that the journal will supply.  Her laptop does not
> support this high a resolution, nor does she have the (personal) funds
> to get a new laptop.  I have found a PCMCIA card that seems to provide
> the needed functionality (please see below).
>
> Does anyone have experience with this unit?  There seems to be a Linux
> driver available
> (http://www.villagetronic.com/ftp/vtbook/Linux/VTBookLinuxDriver_1.1.tgz).
>
> Any information would be appreciated.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Vtbook-PCMCIA-Typeii-Video-Adapters/dp/B000N2TDNA
>
> Vtbook PCMCIA Typeii Video Card with Dvi & VGA Adapters
> by DoubleSight
> 3.0 out of 5 stars
>
> 1 new from $49.95
>
> Yasha Karant

There is a somewhat forgotten feature in X that allows you to set a
virtual desktop resolution.  This allows you to run higher resolutions
on lower res monitors.  It auto-scrolls when you hit the edge of the
display so you have a sliding desktop feel.  Look into setting the
"Virtual" attribute of the "Display" section of the xorg.conf for more
info.  This way she can remain mobile with the laptop and save a few
dollars on gadgets.

-Mark