SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

From:
Anne Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:33:09 +0100

On 21/08/12 20:02, Gerald Waugh wrote:

> On 08/21/2012 01:50 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> For reasons not relevant to this list, I've been using GMail to
>> read my mail for a while, so I hadn't noticed that my local mail
>> server now has big problems.
>
>> I see mail arriving there in maillog, and my .forward file
>> passes it to procmail - but procmail appears to be not doing its
>> stuff - the messages aren't being delivered at all.
>
>> What could be wrong?
>
>> Anne
> What is in  your .procmailrc $HOME/.procmailrc

Thanks for answering.  .procmailrc is a restored file that worked
perfectly before - I'll give you the details if you still want to see
it after reading this.

Digging around in logs I found that there have been some problems with
perl updates - and I assume that procmail is a perl app.  It seems
likely that I messed things up when setting repo priorities, so I set
out to clean things up.

First I removed the packages that wouldn't update, keeping a list so
that I can restore them as soon as I have the problem sorted, and
tweaked the priorities of rpmforge, since that seems to be the one
that was missing out.  At first I thought that had done it, as I got a
clean list of updates about to perform.  Unfortunately, I then got a
transaction error -

file /sbin/extlinux from install of syslinux-4.05-1.el6.rfx.x86_64
conflicts with file from package syslinux-extlinux-4.02-4.el6.x86_64

If I try to update the remaining packages as they stand at present I get

Error: glibc-2.12-1.25.el6.i686 (sl)
  Requires: glibc-common = 2.12-1.25.el6
  Installed: glibc-common-2.12.1.47.el6_2.5.x86_64 (@sl-security)
    glibc-common = 2.12.1.47.el6_2.5
  Available: glibc-common-2.12-1.25.el6.x86_64 (sl)
    glibc-common = 2.12-1.25.el6

I thought of removing glibc, again, to instantly re-install, to ensure
I got the right version, but that promises to remove hundreds of
packages, so I abandoned that idea.

By now I am completely out of my depth.  Is it possible to repair this
system, or would be simpler to just abandon it, and try a clean
install, setting up everything afresh?  I hate to be beaten, but a
broken system is a liability.

Anne