SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:02:03 -0600
Hi All,
This e-mail was supposed to go out yesterday, but things just kept
pilling up and I wasn't able to send it.
Since the subject was brought up.

On releases before SL3.0.8 and SL4.4, the correlation between
/etc/localtime and /usr/share/zoneinfo was not done correctly.

The problem is really with glibc.

Here's some background (this is on a SL4 system, but it's the same for
SL3, just different numbers)

$rpm -qf /etc/timezone
glibc-2.3.4-2.25.i686
$ rpm -qf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago
tzdata-2006m-3.el4.noarch

You see that those two files are controlled by two different rpm's, the
one being glibc.  (I don't know why glibc, that seems like such an odd
place to put timezone stuff, but that's a different story.)

Now, what we really want to look at is glibc-common, and more
importantly, it's post install scripts, and triggers.  triggers are
scripts that get run when *other* rpm's are installed or uninstalled.

 From a SL4.4 machine
$ rpm -q --scripts --triggers glibc-common
postinstall program: /usr/sbin/build-locale-archive
triggerin scriptlet (using /usr/sbin/tzdata-update) -- tzdata

 From a SL4.2 machine
$ rpm -q --scripts --triggers glibc-common
postinstall program: /usr/sbin/build-locale-archive

So we see, that in the new glibc-common, they actually fixed it so that
when you update tzdata, things get updated correctly.
Was that in the glibc release notes.  Yes.  But, it was overlooked just
a bit.

So, what is the solution?
Everyone must update to S.L. 4.4 or S.L. 3.0.8.
No no no no

OK, so we really only saw two solutions.  Write a SL_ rpm tweek, or push
out the correct glibc as an errata.

If we make a SL_ tweek, it's not going to reach everyone, in fact, it
will have to be installed by hand.  And then it's going to linger on,
even after someone has updated their machine and really no longer needs
it.  So, I really don't think this is a good idea.

So, we are going to be pushing out the glibc from S.L. 4.4 and S.L.
3.0.8  to their respective errata.

But we want people to be able to test this first, so I have actually put
this in the testing area, and in the 30rolling and 40rolling errata area's.

I will be sending out an e-mail soon with instructions for testing.

Thanks
Troy

Bill Feero wrote:
> [...]
>> tzdata update for almost a year that supposedly deals with the new rules.
>>
>> Evidently, one can check that the update has been installed by using the
>> "zdump" command (see the appended).  On the first system we checked, the
>>   time zone was set to "America/Tijuana", and the zdump check showed the
>> OLD DST rules were in effect.
>>
>> We re-ran system-config-date and selected, as the only change, the time
>> zone "America/Los_Angeles".  A subsequent run of zdump showed that the
>> NEW DST rules were now being used for that zone.
>>
>> Thus, I believe that the story has a happy ending, at least for this
>> system.  But I would like not to have to run an interactive utility on
>> every system for which we have to make this change.  It would be easy
>> enough (sed or equivalent) to make an automated edit of
>> /etc/sysconfig/clock.
>>
>> On the other hand, it appears that the time-zone information must also
>> be reflected in the data file /etc/localtime.
>>
>> My first question is: is the time-zone information stored any place
>> besides the two files /etc/sysconfig/clock and /etc/localtime?
>>
>> And regarding /etc/localtime: I don't know the format of the file, but
>> in all of the systems in our classroom the file /etc/localtime has
>> exactly the same size (1017 bytes) and has exactly the same "strings"
>> output.
>>
>> My second question: is it safe to assume that any two systems at the
>> same revision of SL and in the same time zone have exactly the same
>> contents in /etc/localtime?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> 					- Mike
>>

>> [root@xxxxxx sysconfig]# cat clock
>> ZONE="America/Tijuana"
>> UTC=true
>> ARC=false
>>
>> [root@xxxxxx sysconfig]# zdump -v "America/Tijuana" | grep 2007
>> America/Tijuana  Sun Apr  1 09:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 01:59:59 2007
>> PST isdst=0 gmtoff=-28800
>> America/Tijuana  Sun Apr  1 10:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Apr  1 03:00:00 2007
>> PDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-25200
>> America/Tijuana  Sun Oct 28 08:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:59:59 2007
>> PDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-25200
>> America/Tijuana  Sun Oct 28 09:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Oct 28 01:00:00 2007
>> PST isdst=0 gmtoff=-28800
>>
>> [root@xxxxxx sysconfig]# system-config-date
>>      (change only the time zone: America/Los_Angeles)
>>
>> [root@xxxxxx sysconfig]# cat clock
>> ZONE="America/Los_Angeles"
>> UTC=true
>> ARC=false
>>
>> [root@xxxxxx sysconfig]# zdump -v "America/Los_Angeles" | grep 2007
>> America/Los_Angeles  Sun Mar 11 09:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59
>> 2007 PST isdst=0 gmtoff=-28800
>> America/Los_Angeles  Sun Mar 11 10:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00
>> 2007 PDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-25200
>> America/Los_Angeles  Sun Nov  4 08:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:59:59
>> 2007 PDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-25200
>> America/Los_Angeles  Sun Nov  4 09:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:00:00

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group