SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
Chris Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:35:23 -0400
I am trying to configure SL4.1 to allow users to mount hotplug usb-storage
devices.

SL4.1 has hal (hardware abstraction layer) configured, which calls
fstab-sync to add appropriate entries to fstab eg:

/dev/sdb1               /media/Windows          ntfs
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sdb2               /media/Linux_backup     ext3
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

The appropriate folders are created under /media/ (owned by root).

However, only root has permission to mount these partitions.

My thoughts:
i) pam is not configured to allow this. I don't know which pam module is
responsible for mounting block devices.
ii) the "managed" fstab option is not working properly
iii) shouldn't the /media mount points be owned by the user ?

Has anybody encountered this issue ?

Regards,

--
Chris Hunter
Systems Programmer, Astronomy, Yale University