SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2011 09:07:27 -0800
On 12/11/2011 08:20 AM, Gerhard Schneider wrote:
> Am 07.12.2011 12:29, schrieb Eva Myers:
>
>> Sadly pkgs.org has nothing newer than firefox 3.6.24 for SL5.
>
> AFAIK the major problem with Mozilla>4 and SL5 (aka RHEL5 and CentOS5)
> is the libstdc++ in use - you cannot compile the sources out of the box
> without updating.
> So I doubt that somebody will port it..
>
> GS

Up until I switched the last enduser system to EL 6 (SL 6) from EL 5 a
few months ago, I was installing all of the Mozilla end user suites with
no issue from the Mozilla site:  Firefox, Thunderbird/Lightning, and
Seamonkey.  These were not the RPMs but rather the compressed tar files
that I simply untar into a subdirectory (generally, /usr/lib/foobar as
in /usr/lib/firefox -- and run /usr/lib/firefox/firefox ).

I now am doing this for SL 6.

I was and am not encountering any issues, and thus getting both the
latest "features" as well as the latest security updates.

I do the same for the OpenOffice suite from Oracle, although that has a
special GUI installer and comes packaged as a set of RPMs.  I am not
running any Linux distribution port of either Mozilla or OpenOffice.

Yasha Karant