SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2007

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:41:28 +0200
Hi Ruben,

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Ruben Salvador wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I have just installed SL4.5 at work (I'm really new to linux though actua
> lly
> using kubuntu 7.04 at home since one month).
>
> Although I already knew 4.5 featured an old kernel as well as old version
> for different applications (firefox, thunderbird, evolution,...) even KDE
> Anyway, I had to install this version since I need a compatible GNU/Linux
>
> distro with RHEL 4.
> I need this compatibility to run QuartusII from Altera (an electronic des
> ign
> suite) that only supports RHEL 3 and 4 (and some suse version).
> http://www.altera.com/products/software/products/quartus2/os/qts-os_suppo
> rt.html
> So, i chose Scientific Linux since it looked more suited for me (working
> with microelectronics PhD at university).
>
> At this point, I would like to upgrade/update some applications to run mo
> re
> updated versions. So, the questions are:
>
> 1.- Is this recommended? Will there be any probability the system turn
> unstable, ...?

No, not recommended. Yes, it may very well become less stable for your
application.

> 2.- If possible, i think the best way is to add some repos or just downlo
> ad
> applications binaries/rpms and install them...right? If not, what's the b
> est
> way?

The best way is to find another system for running the latest and greatest
stuff, and let your SL4 system for embedded development alone.

> 3.- What about upgrading/updating (still don't know the difference ;-) )
> the
> whole KDE to the latest stable release?

Just don't do it.

> 4.- And what I think would probably be the best if possible... Could I ju
> st
> install SL5.x so that I have a newer system with more up to date
> applications while maintaining the guarantee my vendor specific software
> will run?

Depends on your vendor. If they swear all software was made on and for
EL4, it may work. Otherwise, it probably won't. Welcome to GNU/Linux.

> Thanks so much in advance for your help

Couldn't resist,
 	Stephan

--