SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2011

From:
Adam Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:59:19 -0600
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 05:35:30AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   hoping this isn't egregiously off-topic but i'm teaching a RH sys
> admin course next week and i'm using SL 6.0 as the vehicle.  i'm being
> handed the courseware to use and i'm pondering which parts are really
> out of date so that i can skip them or replace them with newer
> material on the fly.
>
>   first question -- is there any sane reason not to use LVM these
> days?  the manual opens (predictably) with showing the student how to
> allocate fixed partitions during the install, and leaves LVM setup for
> later in the week as an "advanced" topic.  i see it the other way
> around -- LVM should be the norm nowadays.
>
>   thoughts?  i'll always allocate /boot as a regular partition but
> unless there are compelling reasons not to, i always recommend LVM as
> the standard.
>
> rday

First Answer:
There is currently no reason not to use LVM for everything other than
/boot which should be referenced by UUID.

Thoughts:
LVM is the defacto standard as it stands today in RHEL6 as outlined to
be base knowledge expected of a Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator
as well as Red Hat Certified Systems Engineer (the RHCSA is a prereq to
the RHCE ... so its somewhat redundant to list both but I did so for
clarity).

http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhcsa/objectives/
https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/objectives/

I think you're headed down the right direction.

-AdamM