SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:09:16 -0600
Shane,

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Shane Canon wrote:

> Now that the SRPMs are available, is the build underway?

yes.  All was rebuilt by Wednesday when I did my first install.

  Also, do
you
> have any documentation on how the rebuild is done.  For example,
> ~  * how are things bootstrapped?

Start with last RHEL4 beta.  In this case it was Beta2 .
Build all rpms from SRPMS.

> ~  * Do you rebuild off the initial build (similar to what gcc does
> ~   during a build)?

Guess I do not know what gcc does.  But I suspect it is similar.
After all the rpms are rebuilt while running the latest RHEL4 beta.  I
update all of the rpms that have been updated in the real release.
I now have all the latest versions installed.

I then rebuild all of the RPMS again.  (done this yesterday and today)

I then rebuild all the errata that have been released.  Quite a few of
those this time.  I upgrade to those.

> ~  * What is the environment set to?

I do not understand the question.

> The CAOS/CentOS guys have this mezzanine build environment.  I wonder if

I had looked at the a long time ago and decided at the time that we did
not need that.  This was back in Oct 2003 when RedHat released rhel3 and
the rebuild was just for Fermi.

I am now researching using ABE from RedHat.  It seems to be simple to
install. Am hoping that it can be used by other Scientific Linux
developers to make building easier for them and thus get more help. It is
a chroot rebuild environment that can handle x86_64 and i386 along with
different distros such as RHEL3 and RHEL4.

> using that or creating something similar would be worthwhile.  It would
> be useful if each build had a log of, at least, ...

Not really sure why this is so useful.  I have made a log of rebuilds
since I have started doing this and have not used it yet.

I started way back with scripts that I wrote to do this rebuilding.  We
lost a disk and I lost my scripts so I got the scripts from the TAO
project.  Changed them a bit. They were actually close to what I had
already done.

> > ~  * All environment variables

The environment variables do not change.

> ~  * Currently installed packages and versions

That could be useful.
Easy to get.  Could just add it to my current scripts.

-Connie Sieh