SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2012

Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2012 03:04:26 +0900
On 08/06/2012 11:14 PM, Mark Stodola wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 09:00 AM, Jeff Gregor wrote:
>> I'm setting up a couple of old machines as sort of web/email kiosks for
>> internal users. I'd like to be able to change the SL logo on the login
>> screen to use my organization's logo. I've figured out how to change the
>> background image on the login screen, but can't seem to figure out where
>> the login panel (gdm-simple-greeter?) is configured. Any help would be
>> appreciated! Thanks...
>
> I haven't tried in SL6 yet, but in SL5, I place my theme directory in
> /usr/share/gdm/themes/<theme_name>/
>
> In there, I have a GdmGreeterTheme.desktop that defines the name,
> description, author, and greeter filename.
> Then, there is a file matching the greeter filename above (usually
> something like theme_name.xml) that contains all the goodies you are
> looking for.
>
> It is probably quickest to just clone an existing theme and tweak your
> colors/text accordingly.

Look for system-logo-icon.{png,svg} in /usr/share/icons/hicolor or
somewhere similar. I don't remember the details. xfce4 has its own name,
and I think KDE has its own name also. Either that or computer.png. I
don't remember precisely.

Anyway, if you're doing a kiosk by far the easiest way to get what you
want would be to make your own redhat-logos package (and whatever other
theming packages there are) from the original SRPM and either include an
obsoletes line or increase it by a version number you're sure SL won't
overwrite when, say, 6.3 or 6.4 are released.

Also, gnome has a series of icon caches that can trip you up. You can
replace the icons and still see the old ones in central places for quite
some time (and this survives restarting X). To fix this you'll need to
delete the icon-theme.cache files at the base of whatever system icon
theme directory you're replacing icons in (like
/usr/share/icons/gnome/icon-theme.cache) or your changes will appear to
have no effect.

Good luck.