SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2011

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:56:14 +0100
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Larry Linder wrote:

> Help!
> Has anyone installed wxPython for EL5 or on SL 5.6 ?
>
> There are numerous dependencies that I can't resolve during installation.
> Tried  wxPython-2.8.9.1-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm from several RPM sources - there
> are three missing lib*.so - found them as RPM files used yum to install
> them - this causes more missing dependencies.  Conclusion is that they are
> not complete and there are too many missing dependencies now to try to
> resolve.
>
> Any ideas on where I can find a complete working wxPython *.rpm  for SL 5.6

Back in May 2008 when we were asked to add wxPython I either couldn't find
them in the external repos I knew about or the versions I could find
wanted to pull in updated versions of core packages I didn't want
changing, or we had some other problem with them (I forget which).

So I rolled my own basedon the then-current fedora development srpm.

Things may have moved on wrt the versions in other repos so you may find
that easier but if you can't find versions which work for you then you are
welcome to try the wxPython (2.8.7.1 based) packages we use...

From about the same time we have ipython packages (the same people wanted
both which is why I'm mentoning it).

Sadly I can no longer remember if we needed to build (or grab from
elsewhere) any other 'support' packages for these...

  -- Jon