SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2004

From:
"Alan J. Flavell" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan J. Flavell
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:37:38 +0100
Folks,

I'm still trying to get ndiswrapper working properly in SL, as
previously mentioned to the list.  Sometimes it's worked fine,
sometimes not. There seem to be definite indications that some
hot-plugger routines are getting in behind my back and moving scenery
around while I'm trying to do things by hand...

Several times when I have been trying something, the laptop froze
comprehensively, and I noticed the CAPSLOCK L.E.D seemed to be
flashing in a distinctive pattern.

As I watched it, I finally realised that the LED was flashing Morse
Code, and I worked out that it is flashing out the words FATAL
EXCEPTION.  Whose little joke was that, I wonder...?  Any clues on
whether this is a kernel thing, a BIOS thing, or what?  Not that it
seems to convey much information - but maybe knowing what area the
"message" might be coming from, would help to understand what's going
wrong.  A google search for the symptoms has been quite uninformative,
so I thought I'd risk asking the list.

Anyway, at the instant of writing this to the list, I actually do have
the laptop working on the wireless network using ndiswrapper (version
0.11).  The trouble is, I'm still not sure how to get there reliably
without it hanging or crashing the OS.  At least it's some kind of
"existence proof".  And as I said before - with so many different
kinds of wireless card around, and even the "same" model turning out
to contain different chipsets, the idea of a generic wrapper that can
run lots of different vendor-supplied Win32 drivers does seem to have
appeal, don't you agree?

cheers