SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 10:54:36 -0500
Erik,

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Erik Williamson wrote:

> Along these lines...
>
> Is 4x (and 30x) the current install tree (4.0 and 3.0.5 at the moment),
> with all errata since 4.0 and 3.0.0 ?

Each "released release(not rolling)" has all the errata up to the date of
release in the mail RPMS area which is SL/RPMS.

Each "released release(not rolling)" has in /errata/SL/RPMS/ all of the
security errata released after the release was released.

The difference then between 301 and 302 would be Update 2 rpms which are
not security errata and all security errata released between when 301 was
released and when 302 is released plus other fixes that are needed.

At the moment 4x points to 40 and 30x points to 304.  When we release 305
at the end of this week then 30x will point to 305 and 4x will point to
41.  We change the "current" links when we make the new release official.

> Why I'm asking -
>
> We're into our sitewide deployment of SL 4 now, and have just hit our
> first batch of newer hardware that works with 40rolling, but not 4.0
> which we have in our build tree.  I anticipated udating our kickstart
> server periodically, but just realixed that if our install tree was 4x
> as opposed to 4.0, 4.1 etc... then I wouldn't have to change the paths
> for the kickstart scripts, yum configs, etc every time.  I'm a truly
> lazy & error-prone person... anything to avoid making mistakes!

These are some of the reasons why we say that "rolling" releases are NOT
for PRODUCTION.  They are really intended for testing.

> Thanks,
> Erik.

-Connie Sieh