SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2009

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 07:59:27 -0700
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Ian Murray<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Distribution dot release is what I was referring to. I
> didn't make myself clear, so my bad. I'll give an example, which will make
> it clearer, hopefully.
>
> The other rebuild project has not yet released their equivalent to RHEL 4.8.
> Obviously, RH themselves have (as have SL :o) ). As far as I understand,
> after RH release 4.8, all their subsequent errata updates against 4.X will
> be released with the assumption dependencies are met by packages in 4.8.
>
> The problem with the 'other' rebuild distribution is that they won't release
> security updates that require dependencies that are met in 4.8 until the
> have released their 4.8 equivalent distribution (Actually they 'roll-in'
> recent updates). So there is a potential delay of weeks and months before
> security updates are passed on whilst a distribution is being rebuilt, as
> they currently don't start rebuilding the dependencies of an errata updated
> package, unless it is part of the release. So they upshot is is that 4.7
> users can't get security updates until 4.8 is released. As far as I
> remember, 5.3 took 2 months to appear from the other rebuild project.
>
> I am quite happy to wait a few days for a security updates, but I do take
> issue to an unknown exposure where security updates are delayed for an
> unspecified length of time.
>
> So, does SL work the same way?

You can find what you are looking for by going through the SL's errata at:

http://listserv.fnal.gov/archives/scientific-linux-errata.html

Look in June, July and August. SL4.8 was announced on August 3.  You
will find the SL4 updates that were release before the 4.8 release on
that list.

For people who are wondering what the OP was talking about, there was
recently a detailed description by Johnny Hughes explaining why CentOS
does not publish updates prior to a point release:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-August/080373.html

However, there is a movement in CentOS in favor of getting the pending
updates out whenever it is possible as seen in this post by Karanbir
Singh:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-July/079311.html

Akemi