SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Shane Canon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shane Canon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:57:39 -0800

Remarks in-line.

- --Shane

Connie Sieh wrote:

|> Guess I do not know what gcc does.  But I suspect it is similar.
|> After all the rpms are rebuilt while running the latest RHEL4 beta.  I
|> update all of the rpms that have been updated in the real release.
|> I now have all the latest versions installed.
|
|> I then rebuild all of the RPMS again.  (done this yesterday and today)

You got the idea.  They recompile gcc using the result from the previous
stage.

|> I then rebuild all the errata that have been released.  Quite a few of
|> those this time.  I upgrade to those.
|

| ~  * What is the environment set to?

My thought is you would like to have enough information about how the
package was built, so that anyone could rebuild it and get the same
result.  Since the config scripts can pick up on any variations, you
need to have a consistent and documented configuration in order to get
the same build result from one system to the next.  For example, even
with the SRPMs, it is difficult to reproduce the build results of the
upstream vendors, since we don't fully know what the build environment
was for each package.

|> I am now researching using ABE from RedHat.  It seems to be simple to
|> install. Am hoping that it can be used by other Scientific Linux
|> developers to make building easier for them and thus get more help. It is
|> a chroot rebuild environment that can handle x86_64 and i386 along with
|> different distros such as RHEL3 and RHEL4.

I'll have to look into this.

|> The environment variables do not change.

I figured as much, but it would be good to know what they are.