SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:33:45 -0800
On 12/15/2014 02:11 PM, Phil Wyett wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-15 at 13:56 -0800, Yasha Karant wrote:
>> On 12/15/2014 08:45 AM, Elias Persson wrote:

>>  From the URL you found via Google, I do not find any list for
>> "professional" users.  What I find are developers, brainstorming, some
>> help, and, for Linux based upon TUV for SL, primary emphasis on
>> Fedora.  Most of it seems to be towards the installation of Mate that
>> went quite smoothly from the repository containing Mate for SL.
>>
>> I am quoting what I found below (long -- I apologize) so that if
>> someone else has a different viewport into the Mate "lists", we can
>> resolve the differences.
> <big snip>
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't believe any Free/OSS/Community project has "professional" user
> list(s). It defeats the point of Free/OSS/Community projects that help
> and support each other as part of a whole, be that novice, intermediate
> or professional. Having one core user list allows all to learn from each
> other and spread the wealth of knowledge.
>
> Regards
>
> Phil

Phil.

Although there are many users on the SL list who are not computer
science (informatics) professionals, there also are a significant number
who are.  Much of the serious commentary is from professional users, not
the typical banter one finds from enthusiasts attempting to get ubuntu
installed to use an office suite application; and much of it is from the
professionals who develop either SL (currently from the Red Hat
subsidiary CentOS source) or who are familiar with the various
application/environment/driver porting repositories for EL (such as
EPEL).  I have not found the equivalent to the SL list for Mate, nor
have I found such for the majority of end user enthusiast
distributions.  This is what I mean by a "professional" list (similar
lists exist for many environments and applications -- I can provide a
set of these from my own experience, but the set by no means is meant to
be exclusionary or complete).

Regards,

Yasha