SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2017

From:
"Betts, Wayne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betts, Wayne
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:44:33 -0400
Hello T,

I have successfully used a utility called Raider a couple of times:
http://raider.sourceforge.net/  It is proof that what you want to do can
be done.  Read the README, which is not terribly long.  I don't remember
the details of the systems used it on, but I recall being impressed at
the details it handled.  Everything it does can be done by hand with
various core utilities (which is what raider uses anyway) and it isn't
terribly hard to understand, but Raider handles a lot of the details
automatically, making the process less error-prone than trying to go
through everything by hand.

While it is possible to use Raider on a live, fully functioning system
to minimize downtime (other than a necessary reboot), you can and often
should run Raider in single-user mode.  There is a power down to
physically swap disks and boot from the new degraded array(s), after
which the new RAID array(s) begin syncing.

Of course, it is strongly recommended that you first clone the disk (or
at least make a remote backup of any important files) with a utility you
trust and are familiar with.  (I often use Clonezilla, but there are a
lot of options for this.)

-Wayne