SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 14:33:41 +0100
2013/7/3 Charles Elsaesser <[log in to unmask]>:
> problem
> -------
>
> artheros-8161 device not recognized by linux : missing driver
>
> as a consequence computers using artheros-8161 cannot run linux and are
> useless when linux is the only way.
>
> pc is "asus-x75vc" model
>
> attempt of compiling alx driver as explained at
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/alx
> failed and following outputs are joined.
>
> Has it a sense to recompile linux kernel 3.3 on a native older system?
>
> Can it help?
>
> Thanks for our explanations, if someone can give advices.

Charles,

Will you please post just the one line, which relates to the Atheros
device in your system, that is returned by a lspci -nn | grep -i net
command line.

Sight of the Vendor:Device ID Pairing for the hardware will allow us
to verify exactly which driver is required.

[off topic]
The latest kernel-ml-3.10.0-1.el6.elrepo package does now provide the
alx kernel module.
[/off topic]

Alan.