SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2015 22:25:23 -0700
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> If systemd is a major resource hog, then our high-performance-
>> machine comrades will come up with something that leaves more
>> CPU cycles for doing computation over the next decade.  I hope.
>> Zillion-CPU computing is intolerant of expensive waste.  If RH
>> someday insists on intolerable resource misuse, we are in the
>> right community for a mutiny and a new direction.
>
> The difficulty is that it's creeping into levels and components that
> didn't ask for it and don't need it, and thus becoming even more
> bloated, With extraneous binary logging, and the tools to decode the
> binary logging into something useful, with dbus integration and the
> latest round of multiple ring integration for Fedora applications,
> it's wedging it's bulky way into places that had no need of it.

I'll be clear that there are things about systemd that do bug me, and it
has taken a while to grow on me, but I think too much of the discussion
gets emotional or subjective with terms like "bloated".  Someone's bloat
could be someone else's greatly useful feature.

In particular, while perhaps the use of a binary format is debatable,
the existence of the journal is incredibly useful.  It allows for the
capture of so much more output from system processes that wasn't
possible before.  And it presents it in a structured and consolidated
way.  Running "journalctl -f -p warning" is a great way to quickly
monitor issues on a machine.

In general I believe systemd takes system management, control, and
monitoring to the next level.  There are growing pains, implementation
issues, and other problems, but overall a great step forward.

Can't speak to dbus integration and I don't know what is meant by
"latest round of multiple ring integration for Fedora applications".

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  [log in to unmask]