SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:06:47 -0500
KC.Gmail wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm both SL and Fedora Core user.  For FC, eg FC2, I always
> keep my system up-to-date by using 'yum'.   I found that a
> updated FC2 is still NOT a FC3 or FC4.
>
> For SL, I have a SL4.2 use as my mail/www server.  I recently
> upgrade the SL4.2 by 'yum' and found some SL4.4 packages are
> installed ???

Such as ???

> I believe I probably can't simply upgrade a SL3.x to SL4.x by yum but
> does a up-to-date SL4.2 is SL4.4 ?

The packages for SL4x (SL 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4) are all compatible
with each other.
When we release security errata for SL 4x, it is the exact same package
that goes to all of them.  We always build on the oldest release we
have, which is SL 4.0 (with security updates).  This way it's compatible
with the oldest, all the way up to the newest SL 4.x distibution.

So, our point releases (SL 4.2, 4.3, 4.4) are not the same as the
various Fedora Core releases (3, 4, 5).  Fedora builds their security
errata on wichever Core release they are compiling for.

Our point releases are comparable to RedHat's Updates (Update 2, Update
3, Update 4) to RHEL4.  You are still running RHEL 4, but you have the
newest bugfixes for that version of RHEL.

So, in the end, it IS possible to use yum to get from one point release
to another, but if that happens without you doing something, then we've
messed up and we need to fix it.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468