SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2013

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:45:56 -0500
XFS seems like the most obvious and maybe safest choice. FWIW, we use
it on SL5 and SL6. Ultimately any issues we've had with it turned out
to be hardware-related.

ZFS has some really nice features, and we are using it for larger
filesystems than we have XFS, but so far only on BSD rather than Linux...

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 01:59:03PM -0400, John Lauro wrote:
> What is recommended for a large file system (40TB) under SL6?
>
> In the past I have always had good luck with jfs.  Might not be the fastest, but very stable.  It works well with being able to repair huge filesystems in reasonable amount of RAM, and handle large directories, and large files.  Unfortunately jfs doesn't appear to be supported in 6?  (or is there a repo I can add?)
>

> Besides for support of 40+TB filesystem, also need support of files >4TB, and directories with hundreds of thousands of files.  What do people recommend?

Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota