SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2007

From:
Paul Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:13:49 -0600
I originally installed CENTOS4.4 to try something new and was having this
problem so I installed SL4.4 instead and still have the problem.

System is a IBM Workstation P4 with 512megs of ram and an nvidia card. I
removed the Firewire card. SL Linux is installed in an almost minimal server
install with vim and elinks as options.

The problem is that after setting the time with rsync and hwclock within
about two ours they are drastically out of sync. The Hwclock has the correct
time but the systime by issuing 'date' is wrong. I have checked the
/etc/sysconfig/clock and it is set to utc=false and both the hwclock and
systime will be correct after doing the rsync.

Additionally and most desturbing is the following. If I issue the date
command multiple times sometimes it returns a result that can be a few
seconds to a minute earlier than previously reported.

Is systime interupt driven and if so what irqs might have a conflict?

Any thoughts whatsoever could help.
Thanks in advance.