SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2017

From:
Alec Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 17:41:37 -0500
Sean writes:
> All of our desktops with NVIDIA cards are now about as good as boat
> anchors under the 3.10.0-693 kernel.

In my case, it was because whenever you update the X libs, some of the X
libs the proprietary driver replaced when it was installed got
re-replaced with the standard ones from the X rpms.  The last batch of
updates included a lot of xorg-x11 packages along with that kernel.
Re-installing the proprietary nvidia library fixed this.  If your
problem is with the opensource xorg-x11-nouveau driver though, this
wasn't your problem.  This happens whenever an X-windows patch comes
through in rpm form, and is a feature of using 3rd party binary blob
drivers.

TUV also changed the kernel source api, causing vmware to fail on its
rebuild of the vmnet drivers.  Fixed following this recipe here:

  https://communities.vmware.com/message/2686431#2686431

Note that this post does talk about the build 663 "7.4 beta" kernel, but
the one we just got is build 693.  Looks like TUV backported their
7.4beta kernel to 7.3 security updates.  Not much either SL or CentOS
can do about that: both distros simply follow along with security
updates.

--
			       Alec Habig
		     University of Minnesota Duluth