SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:15:22 -0600
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Steve Traylen wrote:

> > I am now researching using ABE from RedHat.  It seems to be simple to
> > install. Am hoping that it can be used by other Scientific Linux
> > developers to make building easier for them and thus get more help. It is
> > a chroot rebuild environment that can handle x86_64 and i386 along with
> > different distros such as RHEL3 and RHEL4.
>
> What is ABE?

The announcement of ABE
From [log in to unmask] Fri Feb 18 15:12:51 2005
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:29:35 -0500
From: Michael Waite <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Application Build Environment beta, now available

Thank you for your involvement in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Beta
program.  As a participant of this program, we would like to invite you
to preview a new tool Red Hat is introducing for developers.  The Red
Hat Application Build Environment (ABE) Beta is now available.

We welcome your participation in this Beta program and look forward to
hearing your feedback.  Please sign up for the ABE mailing list:

Once you are registered you may direct comments and suggestions to:

From the announcment of the ABE Software (Beta)
Red Hat's Application Build Environment (ABE) Beta is software that
makes it easy for developers to build an application for any version
of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and to test both the deployment and
functionality of the resulting build across a wide range of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux versions.

Some benefits of the Application Build Environment include:

* When installed, it has the option to create build environments for all
  Red Hat Enterprise Linux releases and each update version
* Initially supports both the x86 and x86_64 platforms
* Enables developers to create software in a build environment of choice
* Allows developers to run tests on software in the various environments
* Builds environments for multiple Red Hat Enterprise Linux variants
  without interfering with developer's system(s)
* Offers a more integrated view of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux family
  by requiring one machine across releases
* Provides documentation with detailed installation and configuration guide

Accessing the ABE Beta with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3

Step 1:  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 Update 4 is available for
download via Red Hat Network.

Red Hat Network Availability -- Installable binary and source ISO
images are also available via Red Hat Network at:
https://rhn.redhat.com/network/software/channels/downloads.pxt?cid=1181

You will be required to login using a valid RHN account, or create
a new one.

Step 2:  The Application Build Environment Beta is available for
download and testing at:
http://people.redhat.com/mwaite/rhel-abe-4.0-2.7.noarch.rpm

Please familiarize yourself with the manual and installation guide
which, when installed on your system, is located at
/usr/share/doc/rhel-abe/ABEkit-1.0.pdf

Please also note that README file contains valuable information
it is located at /usr/share/doc/rhel-abe/README

Your feedback is an essential component of this program and we hope
you will share your impressions of the Red Hat Application Build
Environment Beta with us. So please sign up for the mailing list today:

Thank you for your participation in the Red Hat Application Build
Environment Beta.  We hope you will share your feedback of this
development tool with us at [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,

The Red Hat Application Build Environment Team