SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2011

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:49:49 -0800
On 11/07/2011 09:23 AM, Christopher Tooley wrote:
> # yum search trident
> Loaded plugins: kernel-module
> =============================== Matched: trident ===============================
> xorg-x11-drv-trident.i386 : Xorg X11 trident video driver
>
> # yum info xorg-x11-drv-trident
> Loaded plugins: kernel-module
> Installed Packages
> Name       : xorg-x11-drv-trident
> Arch       : i386
> Version    : 1.2.1
> Release    : 3.fc6
> Size       : 163 k
> Repo       : installed
> Summary    : Xorg X11 trident video driver
> URL        : http://www.x.org
> License    : MIT/X11
>
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> Scientific Linux SL release 5.5 (Boron)
>
> (thinking to myself: curious, I thought I had an ATI card in this machine?)
>
> # lspci | grep -i vga
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
>
> (yep!)
>
> It looks to me like it's installed automatically in SL5, unless they've taken it out on versions>  SL5.5 (I don't have a trident video card in this particular machine) Perhaps I've misunderstood the question?
>
> -Chris
>

> On 2011-11-04, at 1:55 PM, YASHA KARANT wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a xorg driver for EL 5.7 for /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers for a Trident Cyberblade XP 2?  The specific
>> information came from the Device Manager GUI.
>>
>> The xorg.conf stanza I need to support is:
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>         ### Available Driver options are:-
>>         ### [arg]: arg optional
>>         #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
>>         #Option     "DefaultRefresh"            # [<bool>]
>>         Identifier  "Videocard1"
>>         VideoRam    32768
>>         Driver      "trident"
>>         VendorName  "Villagetronic"
>>         BoardName   "VTBook"
>>         BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"
>>         Option      "Int10" "off"
>>         Option      "SetMClk" "133.039MHz"
>>         Option      "Display" "DVI"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Yasha Karant

Although I specified Trident, the actual driver loaded is vesa .  I do
not have the system in front of me and it is not accessible over the
Internet (DCHP ISP client for end-user applications), and thus display
the exact stanzas I used in xorg.conf .  When I attempted to force a
load of the trident driver -- that is present in the modules of xorg on
the system -- X hung with a black screen.  Thus, I conclude that the
distro supplied trident driver does not function with the precise
Trident chipset on the PCMCIA card (Trident Cyberblade XP 2).

There was a driver supplied by the PCMCIA card vendor -- evidently using
source supplied/modified by Trident Corp. -- but Trident seems to be out
of the video chip set business and the PCMCIA card vendor has not
responded to my requests for source -- source would at least provide the
opportunity for building the correct driver without reverse engineering
(disassembling) the vendor-supplied binary driver module.

Yasha Karant