SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2007

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 18:44:44 -0400
Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 04:40:17PM -0500, Connie Sieh wrote:

>>> apt-rpm's maintainer is rather active and was even recently employed
>>> by Red Hat. If you thing there are issues with apt, please report it
>>> to him, perhaps even through bugzilla.redhat.com (although they will
>>> first land on my table, but perhaps the Auto-Cc in bugzilla will work)
>>>
>> Did not know this.
>>

>>> FWIW apt and multiarch work fine on i386/x86_64 and ppc/ppc64
>>> systems. I've heard about issues on ia64 some time back, but don't
>>> know if they were fixed or not.
>>>

>> Last time I had tested it did not work.  What version of apt supports
>> multiarch?
>>

> Every release since about a year and more.
>
> ATrpms (and I'm sure Dag and Dries) has apt for EL4/EL5 if you want to
> just give it a try.

News to me too, there were several mail-list & forum threads about
limited development & support for apt-rpm last year and recommendations
to switch to yum or smart-rpm. Since I was most familiar with yum & knew
Seth was hired by the Redhat last year, I assumed that would be an
advantage for yum & have focused my attention on yum improvements in
Fedora, EL & SL. Also, there appear to be no new apt-rpm releases, and
many repos no longer include apt-rpm /etc/sources examples in their
FAQs, to help folks setup apt-rpm.

Apt4RPM News - 28 Februari 2005: a new version (0.69.3) has been released...
http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will..." - Grateful Dead