SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2015

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2015 09:33:53 -0700
On 05/19/2015 08:29 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Despite Red Hat's assurance that EL6 will be supported
> till 2020, I am finding a lot of stuff that Red Hat
> is not willing to fix in EL6, but is going to or already has
> fixed in EL7.
>
> I had SL7 on one of my machines for a while and I currently
> have it in a VM on my main office machine.  I really like
> it and think it is really well done.
>
> Except that there is a problem that can not be worked around:
> no Wine 32.
>
> Despite how  much I like EL7, this makes EL7 completely and
> utterly useless to me.  If I can not get my work done, I can
> not get my work done.  It is what it is.  (My pleas to EPEL
> and Wine have got me nowhere either.)
>
> So, even thought I hate to, I think it is time to think of
> parting ways with Red Hat.
>
> Anyone know of a disto like EL so that I wold not lose all the
> intellectual property I gains on EL Linux if I ultimately have
> to leave EL?  Susie?  (Aren't the owned by M$ no-a-days?  Yikes!)
> Be nice if it supported KVM too.
>
> I have though of Fedora, which I also support, but it is really
> not a good choice for a server.
>
> Any sign of a Wine 32 project for EL7?  That would ultimately
> solve the problem.
>
> Sorry for rambling,
> -T

Hi All,

I have to scurry off to a customer appointment so
I can not respond appropriately until tomorrow.
I just wanted everyone that ha helped me to know that I am
not ignoring them and that I sincerely appreciate their help.

-T

Got to try out Cross Over in my SL7 VM!

--
Computers are like air conditioners.