SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2015

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 20:08:08 -0500
Ok for clarification the subscription is a subscription for support not the software per the terms of the GPL license.

In no way is Red Hat required to provide BINARY RPM's SRPM's ‎or even the spec files to generate RPM, however in the past they did. Now they still provide the patches and spec files but they don package them for you because that is part of the "support" you get with the subscription and the GPL and the GNU manifesto clearly states that they are not only allowed to do this but in fact this was a recommended business model for free speech software since long before the Linux kernel was created.

Red hat is doing nothing wrong and reality has a long standing history of going above and beyond what they are required to do for the community‎.

By the way the Pre RHEL version of Red Hat still exists they just renamed it Fedora and stopped charging for box sets because once people started getting DSL lines and CD/DVD burners it didn't make sence to still attempt to put it in a pretty box in a retail store and charge $90 for a bunch of CD's you could have downloaded over your 28.8k modem if you were willing to tie up a phone line for a few days.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.