SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2006

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:47:23 -0600
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> It just occurred to me (hey I'm stupid) that there is a possibility that
> TUV might release security updates/errata at a time when many/most of
> the main SL people are expecting to have some kind of vacation.
>
> Now I suspect that TUV are unlikely to release much on various dates
> which are commonly vacation-days -- since their staff take time off too
> -- but since there is an inevitable delay between an announcment and
> being able to get/build/test the update SRPMs, this may run into
> 'holidays' etc.
>
> I started thinking about this because of the recent SAs for
> tar/seamonkey/firefox/thunderbird -- I'd include URLs but that would
> mean referencing TUV.  Anyway being released on 19th December is
> possibly uncomfortably close -- like I doubt that the SL3/4 packages can
> be made before the 23rd...
>
> Of course our users are probably (mostly at least) away too so the risks
> of delaying the installation a few more days are probably lower too.
>
> Am I worrying over nothing?  I'm told that I often do.
>
>  -- Jon

Hi Jon,
These errata (thunderbird, seamonkey, and firefox) are all marked
critical.  That gives them my highest priority.  I'm pushing out the SL4
one's right after I send this e-mail and give them one last test.
SL3 is on a slower machine, required customization, and so it's a little
slower.  They should be out in about 2-3 hours.
So no worries there.

So, to answer your real question.  If there are security errata released
by the upstread vendor during the week between christmas and newyears,
will we recompile them and release them?

The answer is yes.

We want to get them out there to be available to install.
If you want to delay installing them, that is up to you.  But we don't
want to be the ones standing between you and your updates.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468