SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 01:48:25 -0500
On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Jeff Siddall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 12/18/2011 04:56 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 4:26 AM, carlopmart<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>>  Somebody have tried to install XBMC under SL6?? Problems, tips?? I have
>>> found very little information about this.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>

>> Not personally, but the directions at
>> http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/ seem pretty straightforward. They
>> have yum configuration RPM's that will enable the RPMfusion
>> repository.
>

> OK, but I don't see an XBMC package in EL6.
>
> Jeff

It's not. Publishing  "media center solutions" means entering the
world of software patents (for MPEG), the DMCA laws in the USA (for
playing DVD's) and various very painful legal issues. Even if our
favorite upstream vendor chose to include those in their licensed
releases, neither Scientific Linux nor CentOS could include them for
US distributions. So they remain in third party repositories such as
RPMfusion whose maintainers are not subject to US law, or who do not
*care*.

I went through some of this when I was working in the UK with our
favorite upstream vendor's distributions. My employers were very
surprised, and concerned about using a third party repository and
about international licensing of their tools. (I'll mention their name
privately if you want, just not on a big list.) We worked things out
so they had DVD access with well-supported tools, but it wasn't in the
distribution itself.