SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2005

From:
Michael David Joy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael David Joy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:55:39 -0600
Well the first thing I'd say is that the realtek chipset's are terrible
if you really want performance. They don't do any packet header
processing or other tcp hardware offloading, causing your CPU to take
the brunt of the packet load (with gigabit this is bad).

I would recommend Broadcom or Intel based gigabit cards.

Regardless of this fact, mii-tool doesn't support reading out gigabit
link status. It'll give you a link up status with 100FD for 1000FD cards
linked at 1000FD with flow control enabled.

I know it at least reports on the broadcom and intel based cards with a
link up status.

Otherwise, I think you might need to find another tool to get real link
status out of a gigabit nic.