SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2005

From:
John Hanks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:44:18 -0600
On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:54 -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Why not put the bugfix's into the errata area?
> Stability.  Our original users wanted to pick a release and be able to
> sit on it.  All they wanted was the security updates, not the bugfixes
> or extra updates.

That makes perfect sense. The ability to sit on a release in production
for most or all of the hardware life expectancy was one reason we chose
to go with a RHEL derivative.

> But what if you want the bugfixes?
> There are currently 2 things to do, and we're working on a third,
> possibly fourth way.
> 1. Just get it by hand.  Ugg ... that's tedious.
> 2. Upgrade to the latest release, or possibly even the rolling release.
>   Also tedious, but at least you get them all.
> 3. We're working on a 'bugfix' repository.  It's currently in 4.1.  So
> that if you do happen to want a bugfix, you can enable that yum
> repository and get it.
> 4. We're also working on an easy way for users to set things up so that
> they will always be updated to the latest release when it comes out.
> This is how CentOS does it.  This will not be the default setting.

I'm fortunate enough to still be in the testing phase of getting SL out
to our production clusters so I'll go with #2 and anxiously await #3.

> Does that help clear things up?

Yes, thanks.

jbh

John Hanks