SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2011

From:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 18:30:21 +0100
On 6 April 2011 16:41, Raimondo Giammanco [VKICC] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  I had no time in the last few days to go back to my servers.
>
>  Today I compiled my own kernel, version 2.6.38.2 (I compiled before reading
> your comment about long term kernel support)...
>
>  I booted on one server and the very first test seems encouraging: I can
> boot without the previous flags "acpi=off noapic" and finally the pci-e
> network card work as supposed:

<snip>

> If tomorrow's tests will confirm further, I'll need to run to run a custom
> kernel for the time being, until the el6 kernel are ok with my hardware.
>
> I'll see maybe for a kernel with drbd included, that would be really nice.

Hello Raimondo,

Thank you for keeping the list up-to-date with your experiments. I
certainly agree that the ability to boot the system without those
boot-line parameters is definite progress.

What would be nice -- for all users of el6 systems -- is once you have
identified the problem area, that you provide the details upstream (to
Red Hat) so that they have the opportunity to back-port a fix. Once
done, that will then trickle back down to SL, etc.

Alan.