SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2005

From:
Robert Haines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Haines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:12:34 +0100
I have seen problems too...

> 1) Complete system hangs when closing windows. These are rather random
> and hard to reproduce, but we have definitely seen them. ( No remote
> machine involved in this case)

I've not seen anything this bad though!

> 2) secure shell to a remote machine with x forwarding enabled:
>
>  emacs - click in the window to edit, sooner or later it crashes saying:
> =======
>     X protocol error: BadWindow ( invalid window parameter ) on protocol
> request 38

I get this when dragging the mouse to select text. Just clicking doesn't
crash emacs.

I have also seen another problem. If I am logged into a machine (as a
normal user) and try to run up2date:
$ up2date

I get the following error:
The program 'up2date' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 67 error_code 3 request_code 25 minor_code 0)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)

However, if I su - to root first, everything is fine!

Best wishes,
Rob

--
Robert Haines

Research Associate, RealityGrid          Tel. : +44 (0)161 275 6067
Manchester Computing                     Fax. : +44 (0)161 275 6800
University of Manchester                 Email: [log in to unmask]
Oxford Road                              Web  : www.realitygrid.org
Manchester, M13 9PL                           : www.sve.man.ac.uk