SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

December 2013

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2013 15:34:54 +0400
Hi CDR!

 On 2013.12.21 at 04:43:05 -0500, CDR wrote next:

> I wonder when are we going to have Scientific Linux Beta 7 version. The
> upstream version is already out.
> Federico

Isn't it supposed to appear after RHEL7 release?..  Till then it's
really better to help testing RHEL7 Beta itself, I think! There are
often various problems with RHEL betas and RH developers absolutely
don't mind bug reports in bugzilla for beta from people without support
contract.

There are no updates through RH network - public or not - for betas,
at least it was like that in the past, so they will post direct links to
RPMs you can download to test a fix, if needed. So in a sense,
rebuilding SRPMs and making SL7 Beta isn't worth it, because people
won't be able to get updates even for found bugs. But if you're beta
testing RHEL7 and will report bug to RH bugzilla, you might get an
update.

Of course, beta testing is a bit easier if you do have support contract
- then you can install packages from RH network, but switching to DVD
repo isn't too hard. And like I said, likely no updates over network
anyway.

--

Vladimir