SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2009

From:
Peter Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 13:24:15 -0700
Dear Brent,

Thanks to you and others for all the good advice on strategies
for updating packages not yet available on the SL repos as
rpms.

I did end up following your advice, and downloaded, configured
and built and installed the source for gimp-2.4.2, which
turned out to be much easier than I expected.  All I had to do
was to first build and install glib-2.12.3, then gtk+-2.10.13,
and then pygtk-2.10.4.  With the PKG_CONFIG_PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables set to find gtk+-2.0.pc and the new
gtk+ libraries, gimp's configure script completed and the
build and install worked just fine.

So now I have the old gimp-2.2.13 in /usr/bin/gimp along with
the new gimp-2.4.2 in /usr/local/bin/gimp and it all works like a
charm.

Since it's so straightforward (at least for my SL 5.0) to
upgrade gimp, and since science is intimately related to art,
it would seem worthwhile to provide a version of gimp more
recent than 2.2 as an rpm on the SL repos.  2.4 has many
improvements; for example, it will put a text string on any
curved path (which is what was motivating me to update gimp).

    -- Peter